Friday, September 11, 2009

Training Day

Been a hamster for a couple of days already and its psychological effect is wearing me down. Because of Labuyo and Maring, I haven’t had the chance to hit the asphalt lately…until yesterday.

Yesterday was, in fact, my ‘training day’. Since I had to treat the boys out for a post birthday chomp, I figured why not run along with them at BHS and treat them to pizza afterwards. It was Isko’s regular Thursday night run at the Fort and he has been asking me to come along. So this time, I did - fear notwithstanding (what am I up against? – an ultramarathoner who is not going to let me stop no matter what I say or complain about – well, at least he tried – peace Isko! – masarap naman Italianni’s diba?)

Before I decided, he made sure I was ready. His exact words were: kailangan ko dedication at commitment at ready ka dapat sa mga “encouraging” words na maririning sa akin…Encouraging words, hmmm...I only have one… ;)

The gameplan:
A run around BHS covering the 1.20km loop for five times, equivalent to more than 5kms (according to Ian’s “Garmin” measurement – Ian, I didn’t notice your Garmin…hehe)

The real thing:
After the first loop, we did some stretching exercises focusing on the mid foot and hamstrings. And then we’re off again for the 2nd loop. During this time, Isko would notice my arms and would tell me to swing them back and not to cross them in front. “Relax mo shoulders mo, swing mo arms mo sa side na parang may sinisiko ka sa likod...dapat ang kamay hindi nakasara…open mo lang, tapos parang may hawak ka na pick (pick? – I was thinking here…ummmm…pick, like for the guitar? Anyway, no time to ask questions, the coach is serious – I must be serious). Moving on, I mean, running on…

Every now and then, he would ask me questions on how I run and what I am doing before I feel the numbness, at what kilometer, did I sprint before that? Have I been walking already before it happened? And then I felt it – the side stitch. He told me to stretch my arms up, palms up, to release the pressure on the core. He said I need to build strength on my core muscles – noted.

And then he asked me to sprint – ulk! Spirit unwilling, I did so for 70% of one side of the loop. Afterwards, I was breathing heavily. I asked Isko if we can already stop – wrong move. He made me run for another loop - although at a slower pace this time. We stopped for a while to do some breathing exercises – inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale, five times – I think the carbon in my lungs shoot up to a critical level last night. After two more loops, we did some muscle strengthening exercises and a number of drills – which I believe was the most difficult part of the program.

While improving my running performance is top priority now, I was advised to visit the MD first before I proceed with the program. Now, I have two lab requests in my hand – one, for a serum potassium level test and another for a CBC. While waiting for the results, I’ll keep a steady pace for this Sunday’s run -- just to be on the safe side.

5 comments:

  1. you owe me a "post-birthday chomp" even if im not one of the boys! hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure gracie! we've got a lot of sunday runs coming up to do a 'post-race chomp' instead. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha yep! il see you tomorrow then! =P okay, so I read the rest of your entry (funny how my mind got stuck on the part where "chomp" was mentioned :D)...

    I remember from the running clinic a couple of weeks back, one of the speakers said something about positioning your hands in front of you and imagine holding a leaf or something similar to what Kuya Isko mentioned. It helps to keep your self "conscious" of every part of your body during training...something to that effect. I guess it's applicable to some who tend to get numb while running?

    Hmmm ... I never really got around to posting anything about it, maybe later. Check it out at http://rockenrun.com :D Cya tomorrow! :*

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi ms carrie, alina here :-) just browsed through your blog. excited to see your entry on our nueva and baler trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi alina! thanks for dropping by. check out the new entry - posted a few of the photos already. hope to see you and your kuyas on the road soon! :)

    ReplyDelete