Monday, September 21, 2009

Road marks to Baler


view of sabang beach from ermita hill

Flashback
When I was asked to accompany my colleague to Baler, Aurora, I did not hesitate - even if we're going back to Manila one day before Rotarun. It has been years since I set foot on my mother’s hometown and I was wondering when I can visit again. I was, in fact, more than excited and was itching to get a chance to run the Surfing City of the North, or hike up the numerous mountain trails, or surf at Sabang Beach. I haven’t tried surfing yet though and didn’t have much time to trek, so I MUST run instead.

Ran around BHS Thursday night and went home around 11pm, which gave me only less than 4 hours of sleep before I headed off to Marcos Highway to meet the crew for our 6am call time.

Odometer Set
The runner in me had to ask the driver to reset the odometer when we reached EDSA so I have an idea how far it is from EDSA to Alfonso, Castaneda, Nueva Vizcaya (our first stop), then from there to Baler. It’s a 7 hour drive to Baler from Manila, roughing out the very narrow roads of Pantabangan. Then on to the winding roads of the Sierra Madre. Before we reached Nueva Ecija, we coursed through SCTEX and I was reminded of the SIM on October 24, where some runner friends will be joining. I opted to support them though - as I still don't have the guts (nor the stamina) to run the whole 42k stretch.







Alfonso, Castaneda, Nueva Vizcaya
By 11a.m., we were already parking at Alfonso, Castaneda. 3 hours after our meeting, we head off to Maria Aurora, Baler. I was told that it’s only 7kms from Alfonso to Baler…hmmm…I can be there in less than an hour. Not wanting to get lost along the way though (or be kidnapped by NPAs - ulk!), I decided to run the next morning instead.



3 hours after, we were gorging on ginataang alimango at a cottage near Sabang Beach. Checked in at Bahia de Baler for the night and promised myself to run early the next morning. Got the chance as early as 4am (because we need to leave by 7am) but only got as far as the loop in front of the resort - the beachfront was too dark :(

Even so, it was a good thing I got the chance to leave the desk and smell the flowers. Next stop? My father's hometown - Ilocos Norte!




caught some runners before we left,i swear to come back for this


3 comments:

  1. Nice post, Bro. You just gave us a lot of idea as to where to run next. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mistake, Sis! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for dropping by forefoot. baler is just one of the best places for trail runs and just plain old school running.

    ReplyDelete