Monday, November 16, 2009

TIMEX Run: My First Half Mary

“It’s now or never!” I dwelt on these words as I got ready for the Timex 2009 Run yesterday. It’s my first 21km run and I knew I wasn’t ready after the incident at the Philippine International Marathon (PIM: Run for Pasig) – where I blacked out and had to be taken to the hospital. The corral was not sardines-packed as in last Sunday’s run and I recognized some of the seasoned runners in the bunch. At 5am, Filipino actor Piolo Pascual said a prayer for everyone and Manny Pacquiao, who threw combinations against a ‘dancing’ Miguel Cotto that afternoon at MGM. After that, a video of the route was shown, which never really registered on me as I was busy listening to the cacophony of anxious and excited voices around me – or was it my anxious and excited subconscious?...

And then, just suddenly, it was gun-off already – no countdown, just the gun shot which gave us all a start. “This is it!” Placing my finish time’s fate on the Coach, who kept his peace all throughout the run even if I couldn’t keep the pace at times. Kept pounding on the road en route to the Jaguar showroom where I went on a few seconds walk break as the coach grabbed two cups of hydration for me. I was breathing heavily already after that first aid station and was afraid that there will be a blackout part 2 – which I dreaded. Coach Isko told me to avoid the negative thoughts and informed me that we were on the right track. Earlier he said that we will keep a 7min/km pace all throughout the 10km and then a mixture of jog/walk after that, then he assured me that I will finish this race no matter what. We reached the 9km marker at 1.07 on my Timex watch – the first time I looked at it. Looks like I’m doing better than my 10km race - where my best time was 1.15. We reached the McKinley Hill where I felt numbness on my fingers. The gameplan changed here to ‘walks’ on uphills and ‘jogs’ on downhills – which of course, was amenable for me.

At the camp’s entrance, we ran into the trailblazers who were already going back and finishing off at an hour and a half – someday guys…

When we reached the end of Bayani Road, turning left to Heritage, I felt like I was already slogging into unknown territory and everything I learned on training day was conquered by psychological musings of “tap out now”, “you can’t do this,” “your eyes are getting heavy, you are getting weary…” and so forth. Coach Isko, who also took the liberty to be my ‘support’ for the day – handing me chocolates, 100plus and water all throughout the race, would every now and then take me out of the hypnosis and send me back to reality by pushing me further with, “just a little bit more,” “yes, you reached your farthest mark, just 8 more kilometers!”...and I’m still breathing heavily…

With all of my energy (and spirit) waning on the way back, Coach didn’t stop pressing on the positive. Every aid station became a shower station and I welcomed the cold and wet water against my nape and over my head. Somehow it washed away the negative thoughts until we reached the 18km marker. I don’t know what happened but the thought of the finish line at an arm’s reach made me think of slumping at the pavement with a Maynilad hose drumming water against my back, pigging out on a bucket of Haagen Dazs, sleeping right there and then. But Isko was more persistent, persuading me to get the cup of cold water from his hand as he ran off meter by meter until we reached the last two kilometers.

The last kilometer was the hardest. I was panting, my legs were heavy, my arms were not swaying aggressively – man, I don’t even remember if they were still swaying at all! My shoulders seemed like somebody dropped 10 tons of cement on them. With the Coach constantly talking to me, “do you believe in yourself?!” “you’ve gone this far, don’t stop now,” “motivate yourself!” I looked at my left and tried to understand why there was a crane there – they must be fixing the road or the sidewalk or something; at my right – nothing interesting there; and thought of anything that will keep me off the pain and the exhaustion. Motivate myself……check!......this is my first 21k……20 meters……happy thoughts……15 meters……couldn’t read the timer above……10 meters……why is there a ‘blonde’ lady shouting in front of me?......5 meters……chip mat!...yes!

Crossing the finish line at 2.51 tops a Maynilad water shower and beats a bucket of Haagen Dazs. And receiving the finisher’s medal was just pure bliss.

5 comments:

  1. nice recap of your 1st 21K!

    congrats!

    onto your next!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you rodrunn3r! can't wait! *yikes* :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your first 21k! This distance has definitely been one of my favorites. I'm sure with this race under your belt, you can just count your next half marathons and improve both physically and mentally race after race.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Carrey! Wohoo! The first 21k is always the gutsiest, 15-21k portion will really test your mental and physical limits. Awesome job, and good luck on your next one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @thanks elkyoshi! i hope i can say the same thing when i get to my second 21k. thanks for dropping by :)

    @thanks so much luis! i never thought i could do it. but thinking how much of the registration fee would go to waste was also one of the things that kept me going...haha! thanks for dropping by :)

    ReplyDelete