Wednesday, October 28, 2009

SIM: Behind the Heels

It all started in BDM. When Isko requested a support team for his take on the 102km challenge that was the Bataan Death March in April of this year, I got hooked to the 'support the runner' idea. Thus, on Oct 24, when the boys needed support for the 42km Subic International Marathon, I immediately geared up into planning mode.

October 24, 4:30 pm. Our white support van inched its way after other support vehicles as soon as the runners took off. Like a huge python snaking to the left lane to Subic, the road warriors sped off to beat the setting sun. One by one, I recognized some of the runners who were both ecstatic and excited to hit the SCTEX asphalt for the first time. It was just contagious. If I was not in the support vehicle, I could have been one of them too. Nah, maybe next year ;)

However, the ecstasy lost its vigor when we noticed waterless aid stations. It didn't bother us (of course, it won’t bother us – we’re not running! Duh!) until we got to the next station. Still no agua!…poor runners! With 16 more kilometers to Subic, how does one survive? Ask the lovely ladies in the white van if they can spare water. And that was how our support vehicle was converted to a mobile water station for the next or so kilometers. And like the drug, the frenzy that started at Floridablanca turned into a nightmare when darkness overwhelmed SCTEX. One by one, runners come up to us for water and we have to offer what we can and what we have – water, bananas, Gatorade, eggs, wheat bread, chocolates…until our very own supplies ran out. With only 7 kilometers left to the finish line, the runners had to accept any hydration that was being offered – refilled Gatorade, half of another runner’s bottled water, oxygenated water (?). It was here that I wished we had brought more water than the two 6 liters of water that we had. At 5 hours and 10 minutes, Ian and Isko crossed the finish line dehydrated, exhausted but triumphant. Eugene came in 24 minutes later. Jeff and Gene – who were both BDM veterans – finished under 4 hours. It was late and I was also tired – supporting this race was, in fact, more tiring than during BDM in April. Maybe it was the fact that we had to provide supplies, not only to our runners, but to everyone who asked for it. At least, my fatigue slowly shook off when I saw the runners crossing the finish line while the boys were still having their own proud (mary) moment…




ADIDAS KOTR: Up on my Heels

The thought that I will claim another PR at KOTR dwindled away when we left Subic at midnight. Without enough sleep and rest, I bet that I will only be walking the whole 10k stretch. Still, with the addiction gradually controlling me at every race, I got ready at 4am, downed half of a hotdog, took my vitamins, and stretched.

At the 6am gun start, I was unbelievably up on my heels and eating everybody’s dust. Ian, who became my constant pacer from the starting line, albeit his weak state, made sure I was not inching away from the 7min/km mark and breathing like a cadet. Eugene would keep the stories coming and then break away every once in a while whenever he feels leg pain from the 42k run they had 9 hours before.

It was remarkable that I kept on running until the aid station after the Buendia flyover – where I walked and counted 10 seconds while waiting for Ian to get me a cup of Gatorade. I ran off again until after Makati Avenue where I had to take another walk break - at 20 seconds this time. This went on until I reached the Buendia flyover back to the Fort. I crossed the finish line at 1:15:30 - 2 minutes and 30 seconds better than my last one and 30 seconds earlier than my best one. Whew!!!

2 comments:

  1. hahaha! iyan ang kodak...este, canon moment!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bitin pa nga yan eh...! na-conscious pa si kuya isko! hehe

    ReplyDelete