Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Run for Home: Easy Like Sunday Morning



Locked and Loaded

Before the caffeine hit the spot, I loaded up on Texas Roadhouse Grill’s Pork Steak and Classic Savory’s Classic Combo – that would make you think that I was doing a 42k. Nah, just celebrating - plus it was one of those stormy weekends that you just can’t get enough of the carbs.


Classic Chicken at Savory



Yummy Pork Steak at Texas Roadhouse Grill - just love 'em carboloading


Arrived at exactly 4:45 am on Sunday morning and was shocked to see that there's no one parked in front of the jump-off area. It turned out that they're reserved for the VIPs. By the time the engine was turned off, I saw an unbelievably enormous number of 21k runners off to an early start at exactly 5am - I thought I was already late and these were all 10k runners. At 5:30, the 10k runners totaled to around 1,500. Bumped into Jerry (highaltitude.com) before the 10k gun-off. When he asked my friend and I how our pace was like, I went: 'don't ask - we're very slow'. Sorry, Jerry - I doubt I'll be able to catch up with your pace :) My pace was an easy one - didn't rush off with the rest but finished off the Buendia flyover with no walk breaks - woohoo! But when I reached the Jaguar showroom, I had side stitches and had to slow down and walk. After a minute, I set off again until the turnaround. Got another side stitch but no numbness, so I continued on the run/jog/walk routine until the finish line - where I didn't sprint off like I used to. Unofficial time clocked in at 1:25.

Much ado about the VIPs

V - ast. This is what the parking space in front of the jump-off looked like. There were a lot of parking spots and no one was parked in it. Did the VIPs WALK to the race? Or maybe the cars were used as support vehicles?

I – nstant. The ChampionChip did not provide the on-the-spot, immediate, after-the-race results as promised. Did the imaginary rain destroy the magnetic field? Were the chips designed for another race? Did we tie it correctly? Are the results disposable as the chips? Uh-oh…hope not, because this is the first time I did not bring my Timex watch.




Looks like I got it right coz it didn't fall off :)


P - ossibilities. This race opened up possible innovations for upcoming races (organizers – hear ye, hear ye). Consider designing a new or different route for the 10k or even the 16k. Test run on those chips and we’ll all experience better technologies for every race. I kinda like the AS on the Buendia flyover – can we have more of these plus the markers?






In toto, I give this run a 6 rating. It has innovation for the race route, a timing chip and enough liquids to last a 42k. But, they lost 4 points for the instant race results - which is in fact, one of the big time reasons why I joined this run.

5 comments:

  1. that was sure a sumptuous meal :)

    and i have to agree, i thought that the championchip would provide immediate results. it's disappointing that we would have to wait for days until we get the official finish times.

    congratulations on finishing this race! see you on the road someday. :)

    (and i'm adding you to my blogroll, if you don't mind)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you need company on your Carboloading before your races.. Isko and i are just a txt away.. You don't need to txt Gaston.. hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations! i agree that what's what the use of the high tech chips if you can't give the results at the soonest time. Buti pa manual, on the same day result meron na. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ***hi carlo! just hope it won't happen again in case they use it in future races. thanks for dropping by and for adding me to your blogroll...happy running!

    ***hi ian! you have to move fast though coz it won't last a minute even with gaston at bay! hahaha!

    ***thanks bro j! just like what ian mentioned in his blog - IBM (it's better manual)! see you on the road soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. maybe the RUDY BISCOCHO SYSTEM makes
    for faster reporting of results than
    this CHAMPIONCHIP system.

    ReplyDelete